Monday, April 16, 2012

Vacations are memorable!



This may have been the most memorable vacation we've ever had--but for all the wrong reasons! On Wednesday, we had a layover in Denver and mom was experiencing a headache. We reboarded the airplane only to have mom wishing "that the Advil would start to kick in." It never did. Thirty minutes into the flight she started to have dry heaves and was overheated and very uncomfortable--ice packs and perpetural fanning did not relieve her flu-like symptoms. We did get her off the plane. I went to get the rental car and came back to get her, only to find her laying on the floor in the terminal with a medic. We wheeled her to the rental car and drove 50 minutes to our rental condo in Midway.

Mom stayed in the bedroom all day Thursday and Friday--unable to get out of bed--and hesitant to see anyone for fear of spreading the very contagious flu bug that she apparently got from a patient on Tuesday.

I spent time with Ryan, Heather, Emily, Clayton, and the boys on Thursday and Friday. (You'll have to check out Heather's post for a sampling of pictures--thanks, Heather!). Friday night I got sick with the traditional flu symptoms (see picture above). Emily followed 26 hours later. Jude followed her by about 12 hours. (As of this writing, the flu has stopped spreading--but that may just be wishful thinking.)

On Sunday Heather and Jude flew back to LA--with Jude suffering from his first full bout of the flu. Ryan drove back to LA with only Finn to keep him company (lots of good conversation there!).

So, everyone was sick or near-sick. The weather was cold and wet. It was impossible to schedule anything due to the uncertainty of the our health.

Mom feels terrible that she carried the virus with her and that it spread. (I must say that she did all that she could to stay away from others; I am probably the culprit with the spreading of the disease.)

So, very memorable vacation!

The good news was it was great to see everyone and spend a little (very little) time with them. Thanks to Ryan and Heather for making the long drive up--can't believe you'll do that again! Emily and Clayton have a great place! Rumor has it that Clayton is doing the graduation thing this weekend. Yeah!

On a personal note, my energy was sapped some of the day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I now have a much greater appreciation and empathy for those who lack energy in life. I am getting better--but it was probably good for my soul to be sick for a few days.

Oh, and I also got an appreciation of how fast a virus could spread--so, when I read about predictions of pandemics and epidemics I will no longer be synical about the probabilities of rapid spreading.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks for the post Petes! Now you see first hand why I always try to do my blog same day! If I would have tried to do that the next day it never would have happened, and if it ever did happen truth be told it probably would have been been seeping with negativity!
It was good to see you guys, there were definitely some highs and lows! What a gut wrenching experience watching little Jude throw up! It's a first for me so naturally I was in tears every time I saw Jude throw up!. Holding Jude in the airport over the garbage can puking will forever be a somber memory. I've throw up twice, Finn has a fever - but no puke yet! So that's fantastic news! Ry is feeling good, exhausted but good! Say hi to Winston for me.